Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Mashed Potatoes for Two

If you're like me, then you could eat a TON of mashed potatoes every time they are placed in front of your face. I seriously could eat a huge bowl of them all by myself. I used to love those potato pearl thingies when I was younger, and now I don't even get how I could have a little bit of those things because the real stuff is so much better! My mom only cooked potatoes about once each week, usually in a slow cooker but sometimes baked. Rarely did we have mashed potatoes because they were saved for special occasions at our house it seemed like. We regularly ate rice with our dinner and ate pasta too, so these mashed potatoes were sooo good to us growing up. Now, I still cook them just as regularly as my mom did, but I have to make sure to cook the right amount for two people.
The first couple of times I made mashed potatoes, I used about 8 potaotes, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, shredded cheese, you name it. I didn't quite know what was healthy to put in them regularly and definitely not how many potatoes to use when preparing them for only two people. So, after about one year, I've finally gotten it to be able to feed two people for two meals, and it's perfect for us since we do leftovers. So, if you're feeding four people for dinner, you'd be set there too!

This recipe is very simple and uses basic ingredients. The Cookin Chicks has a great recipe for chicken gravy that I like to use. It's simple and it makes quite a bit of gravy, but Michael likes to drown his food in it, so that's no problem for us.




Ingredients
2 Russet potatoes
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. salt +more to taste
1/2 tsp. pepper + more to taste


Directions

  1. Boil 8 cups of water in a medium-large pot
  2. Wash potatoes (scrub if desired, but I don't like to because of the nutrients found in the skins)
  3. Dice potatoes into large pieces (I slice it and then quarter the slices) 
  4. When water is boiled, add potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are softened and cooked through
  5. Drain potatoes and place in a bowl (I use my KitchenAid bowl) 
  6. Mix with a hand or standing mixer until combined
  7. Slowly add butter, milk, and salt and pepper
  8. Mix until completely combined


I hope you enjoy these simple potatoes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment