Thursday, June 22, 2017

German Pancakes for Two

German Pancakes were a staple to our breakfast routine growing up. They're so easy and can be made with ingredients that are sitting in your house regularly. This was a great recipe while growing up, because my mom was a teacher as well as my dad, so there was absolutely no time to make breakfast in the mornings when we all had to leave for school at different times, make lunches, get ready, and ususally finish our homework we forgot to do the night before. This was great, because all you have to do is mix it, and throw it in the oven. My mom did this, and we were still able to dish up our own breakfast and personalize it to our taste. It was a good change from our usual cereal and toast, without taking the time of waffles or french toast.
Now, when we make big pan, we eat them all and stuff ourselves silly. So, I decided I would try to half the recipe and see how it worked out. And it turned out perfectly! It works out so great for us because it's a fun breakfast without being too filling or anything. My sister-in-law has the full recipe on her blog, as well as an amazing syrup! I like to make this syrup every once-in-a-while for a special occasion, but it's a lot of sugar and extra work. But, for birthdays and special occasion, I absolutely love it!


As I mentioned before, you just throw this in and it's really just SO simple. My favorite toppings are lemon juice and powdered sugar. Most people like to use a syrup. I also have tried cheese and thrown it on for the last 5 minutes until it's melted into the pancakes, and add a tiny bit of lemon juice. It's not very sweet, but still a good mix! Just barely, we tried fresh raspberries and OH MY they were FANTASTIC!! Michael liked it with buttermilk syrup and I absolutely loved it with powdered sugar and some lemon juice. I probably will add fruit to these things regularly. I think I'll try strawberried next and I know I'll love them!

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 Tbsp. butter
Optional Toppings: syrup, lemon juice, powdered sugar, cheese, fresh fruit

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 400℉
  2. Set butter in an 8x8 baking dish and place in oven until melted (make sure it doesn't brown and burn)
  3. Add milk, flour, eggs, and salt to a blender
  4. Mix until it's combined (I mix it once, use a spatula to get flour off the sides, and mix again) 
  5. Remove pan with melted butter from the oven and pour in milk mixture
  6. Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, it is finished with edges are slighty dark
  7. Finish it off with your favorite toppings and enjoy! 


1 comment: