Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Best Navajo Tacos

Who doesn't love tacos?! They're completely catered to every single person because they can choose their own toppings, they could feed an army, and they taste amazing. When I was in high school, my cheer team always did a Navajo Taco fundraiser and it was one of my favorite thing ever, mostly because I'd get Navajo Tacos for dinner that night haha. One reason why I love these things is that they taste super fresh. Salsa, lettuce, olives, limes, whatever you want to put on them, you can! I LOVE olives, so I throw as many of those things on there as I can. And then I have to put some back to share with everyone else haha.
I'm in my last week of school for this semester and oh man, I'm so ready for it to be done! I only have 5 (FIVE!!) more things to do, including finals, for school and then I am done until the second week of January. I love December because 1) the break from school 2) my birthday month 3) our wedding anniversary 4) Christmas 5) I get to spend so much time with my family 6) Christmas lights 7) just the whole entire amazing spirit that's around during the Holidays. I can't get enough of it!

I have yet to make my own scone dough for scones or Navajo Tacos. Frozen dough all the way! Just buy Rhodes frozen roll/scone dough and then you defrost it, stretch it out, and fry it up. Easy. Another thing I do to make meals more simple, is cook up the meat beforehand if I know that I am going to be busy that day. I cooked this meat a couple of nights before and froze it in a sealed freezer bag, and then when I was ready to eat it with the tacos, I reheated it on the stove and then threw in some onions, garlic, and a little bit of chili and cayenne pepper to add some flavor. This helped a TON to make the stress of dinner on a busy night a little more bearable.

I've been trying to prep and cook my own beans, and these won't didn't look very nice. BUT, they weren't as dry as my first few attempts, so they were definitely winners in my book still. They tasted great!! I let them soak overnight and then I cooked them in the crock pot throughout the day with a lot of water and salt. 
Some of my favorite toppings are: salsa, sour cream, olives, black beans, sharp cheddar cheese, and lettuce.





Ingredients
Frozen scone/roll dough (My favorite here for Utah peeps)
Oil to cook dough in
Ground beef
Onions
1/2 tsp. chili pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Black beans
Shredded cheese
Shredded lettuce
Salsa
Sour cream
Olives


Directions

  1. Prep beans beforehand (if needed) 
  2. Cook ground beef and add onions, garlic powder, chili and cayenne peppers
  3. Thaw out scone dough, stretch, and cook according to directions on bag (heat up about 1 inch of oil and cook both sides of scone)
  4. Add your favorite toppings


No comments:

Post a Comment