Thursday, July 20, 2017

Chicken Stir-Fry for Two


Making dinner is the summer is a struggle some days! When it's so warm outside, you just don't want to turn your oven on and cook food. But sadly, you just have to eat! I have tried for months to make a stir-fry that I have actually really enjoyed. Most of the time, I just choose to make the frozen bags because it cooks so much better! I try so many different recipes and they have not worked for me. They're too spicy, soggy, meaty, etc. and I just haven't found one that I'd like to use again. It's also so difficult to find one just to feed two people! So, I decided to try one for myself, and I personally really enjoyed it. Michael said it was his favorite one yet too, so that makes two...all we need in our house!
I had to fix the problems that I didn't like. Soggy stir-fry is not something I like AT ALL!! I don't like mixing foods very much because they all mush, so I decided to cook the stir-fry and sauce seperately. I made the teriyaki in a pot and it turned out just fine! My favorite teriyaki recipe is from Food.com. There is extra sauce, but I usually save it for a couple of days and put it on leftovers and rice. I also wanted a good amount of meat to veggies. I used one chicken breast and cut it into larger pieces. I also limited the veggies what we wanted and cooked them all together! 


Ingredients
Stir-Fry
1 chicken breast- cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small head of brocolli- just use the florets and cut into small pieces
1 small bell pepper-sliced or chopped (I prefer slices)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 small zucchini-sliced into very thin rounds
1 large carrot-shaved, about 1/2 cup
1/2 small yellow onion- sliced and rings seperated



Sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp. chicken bullion
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove ginger. minced)
5 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 cup cold water


Directions
  1. Heat up a small pan with 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil and place cut-up chicken in pan, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  2. Let cook and make sure to flip chicken pieces
  3. Heat up 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a medium pan and add brocolli, pepper, mushrooms, zuchinni, carrots, and onion 
  4. Veggies are finished when no longer crunchy, but still hold their form 
  5. Steam with lid on and stir occasionally
  6. In a small pot, place water and chicken bullion until combined, add soy sauce, ginger, powder, brown sugar, and honey until mixed
  7. While sauce is cooking, add corn starch and cold water together in a small bowl until combined 
  8. Remove sauce from heat and add corn starch mixture
  9. Combine chicken and veggies, top with teriyaki sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment