Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thai Coconut-Curry Broiled Tilapia

This is, HANDS DOWN, my new favorite tilapia recipe. Oh my goodness, it's amazing. Not a curry fan? Originally, me neither. But this completely converted me. My mom made this a few times when I was in high school, so I thought I'd give it a try again since we're trying to eat more fish. We love it! I've made it a few times, but made sure to add the fresh ginger and garlic and it MAKES it!
It's a super easy recipe, surprisingly. And again, fish is full of Omega-3's, so it's incredibly good for you! The original recipe is from Food.com , which I feel is always a trustworthy site. For spices, I also use good old McCormick, they are always perfect for my needs!
Tilapia Tips 
Keep your tilapia frozen. When thawing out, don't defrost in microwave like other meats. It thaws out super fast! Tilapia is pre-packaged individually, keep them in the plastic when thawing out. Fill a medium-sized bowl with lukewarm water and place tilapia filets into the bowl until thaw, refreshing the water every 5 minutes (only have to replace once for a a few fish-for more, you'll have to replace more). You can also place packaged filets inside of a colander and run slightly warmed water over them until thawed. 
Take the fish out of the packaging and rinse off. This gets the not-so-good, slimy, fishy taste off of them a little more and leaves the good taste. Another way you can do this, is soak them in a brine mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes (1 cup of water to 1 tsp. salt). This makes them taste way better!
Ingredients
Sauce
1/2 tsp. oil (sesame or olive)
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup chopped grean onion
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. red curry paste
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
4 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (14-15 oz) can cocount milk
Fish
1/2 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tilapia fillets
Serving
Chopped cilantro and lime wedges (optional)
Rice (I use brown rice, but basmati rice would be so yummy)

Directions

    1. Turn on brioler
  1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat
  2. Add ginger and garlic, cook until mixed and heated through, about 1 minute
  3. Add bell pepper and onion, cook another minute
  4. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin until mixes, about 2 minutes
  5. Add soy sauce, brown sugat, salt, and coconut milk, bring to a simmer and keep on low heat, stirring regularly
  6. Rinse fish and brush with oil and salt on a baking sheet covered in tin foil (I don't feel that parchment paper works well with broiling tilapia)
  7. Broil 7-8 minutes or until it's white and flaky 
  8. Servce with sauce, rice, cilantro, and lime wedges




No comments:

Post a Comment