Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Baked Chicken Rolls

This is perfect for a summer dinner. The fresh chives and parsley make it refreshing and the small size of each piece keeps it light. We served it with rice and asparagus and I don't think that I could have loved it more!
I honestly don't think I could rave enough about family recipes. I received a bunch of them from my grandma at my bridal shower and they are some of my favorites. They're so classic and just yummy! These chicken rolls were made by my mom growing up and she said this was the meal she requested for her birthday dinners as a young girl. They're a bit of a change from your regular baked chicken so it's a little refreshing to have the switch-up. I made them for my family and my younger brothers really enjoyed them, because my mom hadn't made them in a while. It's always fun for younger children because they're automatically fascinated with the toothpicks in them and somehow makes it more interesting to eat. Everyone will love this meal when you make it!
This is a pretty simple meal. I like to use chicken tenders because it makes them a lot easier, but you can use chicken breasts and cut them up to the size of tenders (about 3-4 pieces of the breast make a good size). I like to use fresh chives and parsley for this recipe also! And, as always, this recipe feeds two people plus leftovers! This can easily be doubles or tripled to feed more mouths!




Ingredients

6-8 chicken tenders or 2 chicken breasts cut into strips

1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. chopped chives
1/8 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
3-4 Tbsp. cold butter
1/4 cup flower
Dash of cayenne
1 egg
2 Tbsp. water
2 cups fine dry bread crumbs



Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350℉
  2. Grease 8x8 pan 
  3. Pound chicken between sheets of wax paper (I just use a wooden spoon to pound meat)
  4. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on both sides
  5. Combine parsley, chives, marjoram, and garlic powder in a small bowl
  6. While chicken is lying flat, add 1/2 Tbsp. of butter to one end of each strip 
  7. Sprinkle butter with herb mixture until it's evenly distributed 
  8. Beginning with butter side, roll chicken tightly to the other end
  9. Fasten with toothpicks 
  10. Mix flour and cayenne in one bowl, egg and water in another, and bread crumbs in the last
  11. Cover each piece of chicken in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs until covered
  12. Place pieces on 8x8 pan 
  13. Cook for 35-45 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment