Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunday Dinner Crockpot Roast and Potatoes

For as long as I can remember, at least one Sunday each month, walking into the house after church and getting a whiff of the best smell ever: roast beef, onion, and potatoes. I'd run to set the table and put the rolls in the oven. It was like my monthly version of Thanksgiving Dinner. I don't think anything can compare to a roast that has been slow cooking all day. I thought my mom was a magic cook (well I still think she is) to be able to make something that tasted so good. I'm glad that she's taught me her ways because living over 2 hours away, you can't drive home every Sunday for dinner, unfortunately. This roast is actually pretty simple. As much as I try to make this for two people, I don't think it will ever work out. I always end up filling it to the brim with food. It works because Sunday we eat around 2 p.m., have leftovers before dessert, and then more leftovers for lunch the nest day. So it actually ends up for about 3-4 meals for us, and we don't mind because we love this stuff.



We usually try to eat mostly healthy foods throughout the week, but Sunday is an exception for that. No, this isn't deep fried in mayo or anything like that. But we always serve it with white rolls and butter (those don't happen every day at our house), and we stuff ourselves silly (like I said, our monthly Thanksgiving). So, it's always good to save it for Sunday to fill ourselves up and then take a Sunday nap. That goes against everything that I've learned in nutrition haha, but it's Sunday so we let it slide! I love this because you don't have to cook or hardly prep anything prior to dinner. We even use pre-made roll dough that all you have to do is set out and let rise while roast is cooking and throw them in the oven. My favorite brand is local to Utah (and comes from my county even). So, if you're a Utahn, buy this stuff because it's amazing: Terrell's Country Bakery Rolls & Scone Dough. And yes, of course we make scones and even pretzel bites with this amazing stuff. I still use Rhodes every once-in-a-while, but I feel that Terrell's works better with our altitude where we're at right now.



Ingredients
1 onion
1 1/2 cup water
3 tsp. beef bullion (or 2 cubes)
2 lb. roast
2 tsp. minced garlic
3-4 red potatoes, cut into 8 pieces each
2 cups baby carrots
2 cups celery
1 package onion soup mix (optional)


Directions

  1. Slice and seperate onion rings
  2. Place onion slices on the bottom of a crockpot until covering the bottom (about 2 slices seperated)
  3. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of pan as well as 2 tsp. beef bullion 
  4. Place roast on top of onions
  5. Sprinkle garlic on top of roast 
  6. Add the rest of onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery
  7. Top with the remaining tsp. of beef bullion, 1/2 cup of water, and onion soup mix
  8. Cook on low for about 8-10 hours or low for 5-6 hours
  9. Roast is finished when it can easily shred and is cooked to about 150° F (for a medium roast) or 160°F (for a well-done roast) 

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes, so I hope you enjoy it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment