Thursday, January 26, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie

I could probably live off of the Marie Calendar's personal meat pies. I thought that I'd try making one of my own, and opted for a full-size pie becuase it means more (which is always better in this situation). I found the best recipe from our local cookbook! 


It took me a little bit of personal talking into, because I was so worried that I was going to do it incorrectly and dinner would be a disaster. Fortunately, that was not the case and it turned out great! My only problem was that it tasted a little bit bland, it definately needed more than just a little bit of salt and pepper. After a few trials, I was able to discover the right taste!
How To
The recipe is super simple, something that surpised me the first time that I made it. 
I start out with cooking the chicken in the oven while I am boiling the vegetables (potatoes and carrots only) until they're finished cooking. Before cooking the vegetables, I cube the potatoes and slice the carrots into small rounds (I usually use petite carrots). I boil some water and throw them in there with the salt. I cook them until the potatoes are about to fall apart, almost the doneness of mashed potatoes, because they turn out to be super creamy in the finished pie and it's the best! When they're almost finished, I start on the gravy. If I cook the gravy too far ahead, it thickens up too much before pouring it into the pie shells. Preheat the oven to 425° when the chicken is finished cooking. 

Finishing Up
When everything is done cooking, start preparing the pie shells. With the first shell, keep in the tin and place on a cookie sheet. Pour the cooked vegetables and then layer frozen peas and then chicken, finishing with gravy. Place second pie shell, still in tin, on top. Slowly remove the tin and pinch edges together. Gravy might pour out, but that's what the pie tin is for! The pie is done when the top is a golden brown. 




Ingredients: 

1 or 2 cups cooked chicken
3/4 cup carrots
3/4 cup potatoes (about 1 large Russet potato) 
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour 
14-16 oz. chicken broth
2/3 cup evaporated milk
Seasonings of choice (Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Basil) 1/4 tsp. each of choice seasonings
1 egg
2 large frozen pie crusts
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F
  2. Cut potatoes into bite-size cubes (I usually keep the peel on), cut carrots into rounds
  3. Boil together until tender and then drain
  4. While vegetables are cooking, melt butter in saucepan and slowly add flour
  5.  Gradually add chicken broth and evaporated milk (I sometimes add about 1/2 tsp. chicken bullion powder to add more chicken flavor) 
  6. Add other spices 
  7.  Stir until mixture boils and thickens. Keep on low heat, continue stirring to ensure it doesn't burn to bottom
  8. Place one pie shell (still in tin) onto a cookie sheet
  9. Drain cooked vegetables and place in the pie shell
  10. Layer chicken and frozen peas on top of vegetables
  11. Pour gravy over vegetables and chicken
  12. Top with the second pie crust (I find it easiest to keep it in the tin, flip it on top, and then take the tin off)
  13. Beat the egg and brush it on top of crust
  14. Bake for 20-30 minutes
Enjoy! 


Try it out and let me know what you think!
Printable button can be found below.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment